Document Type: Case Report
Civil Hospital Palampur HP India
Dr Rajendra Prasad Government Medical College Kangra at Tanda Himachal Pradesh (Pin 176001)
Blunt trauma abdomen is a very common entity but traumatic abdominal wall hernia is not that common. Herniation through abdominal wall usually occurs following trauma with seat belt, motor cycle, bicycle handle bar etc. Handlebar hernia is a less known variety of traumatic abdominal wall hernia as a consequence of injury with handlebar of a bicycle. It is difficult to diagnose and one should have high index of suspicion. Management in traumatic abdominal wall hernia is individualized based on various factors. We herein present an interesting case of a14-year-old boy, who sustained blunt trauma abdomen from bicycle handlebar leading to triple herniation and perforation of the small bowel and hematoma of the mesentery. Patient was resuscitated and operated with a favorable outcome. Blunt trauma abdomen is a very common and the possibility of traumatic abdominal wall hernia should always be borne in mind.
- Selby CD. Direct abdominal hernia of traumatic origin. JAMA. 1906;47(18):1485-6.
- Dimyan W, Robb J, MacKay C. Handlebar hernia. J Trauma. 1980;20(9):812-3.
- Damschen DD, Landercasper J, Cogbill TH, Stolee RT. Acute traumatic abdominal hernia: case reports. J Trauma. 1994;36(2):273-6.
- Liasis L, Tierris I, Lazarioti F, Clark CC, Papaconstantinou HT. Traumatic abdominal wall hernia: Is the treatment strategy a real problem? J Trauma Acute Care Surg. 2013;74(4):1156-62.
- Agarwal N, Kumar S, Joshi MK, Sharma MS. Traumatic abdominal wall hernia in two adults: a case series. J Med Case Rep. 2009;3:7324.
- Kumar A, Hazrah P, Bal S, Seth A, Parshad R. Traumatic abdominal wall hernia: a reappraisal. Hernia. 2004;8(3):277-80.
- Rathore A, Simpson BJ, Diefenbach KA. Traumatic abdominal wall hernias: an emerging trend in handlebar injuries. J Pediatr Surg. 2012;47(7):1410-3.
- Wilson KL, Davis MK, Rosser JC, Jr. A traumatic abdominal wall hernia repair: a laparoscopic approach. JSLS. 2012;16(2):287-91.
- Akbaba S, Gundogdu RH, Temel H, Oduncu M. Traumatic Abdominal Wall Hernia: Early or Delayed Repair? Indian J Surg. 2015;77(Suppl 3):963-6.
- Sahdev P, Garramone RR, Jr., Desani B, Ferris V, Welch JP. Traumatic abdominal hernia: report of three cases and review of the literature. Am J Emerg Med. 1992;10(3):237-41.
- Truong T, Costantino TG. Images in emergency medicine. Traumatic abdominal wall hernias. Ann Emerg Med. 2008;52(2):182, 6.
- Dennis RW, Marshall A, Deshmukh H, Bender JS, Kulvatunyou N, Lees JS, et al. Abdominal wall injuries occurring after blunt trauma: incidence and grading system. Am J Surg. 2009;197(3):413-7.
- Singal R, Dalal U, Dalal AK, Attri AK, Gupta R, Gupta A, et al. Traumatic anterior abdominal wall hernia: A report of three rare cases. J Emerg Trauma Shock. 2011;4(1):142-5.
- van Bemmel AJ, van Marle AG, Schlejen PM, Schmitz RF. Handlebar hernia: a case report and literature review on traumatic abdominal wall hernia in children. Hernia. 2011;15(4):439-42.