Document Type : Brief Communication
Psychosocial Injuries Research Center, Ilam University of Medical Sciences, Ilam, Iran
Department of Clinical Epidemiology, Ilam University of Medical Sciences, Ilam-Iran
Department of Psychology, Psychosocial Injuries Research Center, Ilam University of Medical Sciences, Ilam, Iran
Suicide is a serious public health concern in the world. Epidemiologists are considered the mainstay of the management of problem. The purpose of this study was to investigate the trend of suicide (attempts and completed) by age and gender in a 6-year time period and to compare the suicide rates between in age and gender groups in Ilam. In this cross-sectional study, a total of number of suicidal attempts during a 6-year period from 2011 to 2016 were recorded. The data were derived from the systematic registration suicide data (SRSD) which collects official statistics from the Ilam University of Medical Sciences. Suicide rate in period of the study in men was reported to be 24.0 in 2011 to 17.9 in 2016 per 100,000 populations; also this rate in women was between 16.2 in 2011 to 7.3 in 2016 per 100,000 populations. Trend analysis revealed a decreasing trend (r= -0.82, p=.043), in attempts, as well as completed suicides (r= -0.53, p=.048). The current data demonstrated a decreasing trend in both attempts and completed suicide rates from 2011 to 2016. Also we found that the rate of completed suicide in all age groups were higher in men compared to women.
- Mergl R, Koburger N, Heinrichs K, Szekely A, Toth MD, Coyne J, et al. What Are Reasons for the Large Gender Differences in the Lethality of Suicidal Acts? An Epidemiological Analysis in Four European Countries. PLoS One. 2015;10(7):e0129062.
- In: World Health Organization. Suicide rates, Suicide rates (per 100 000 population). [Accessed: 2017] Available from: http://www.who.int/gho/mental_health/suicide_rates/en/.
- Veisani Y, Delpisheh A, Sayehmiri K, Moradi G, Hassanzadeh J. Suicide Attempts in Ilam Province, Western Iran, 2010-2014: A Time Trend Study. J Res Health Sci. 2016;16(2):64-7.
- Veisani Y, Delpisheh A, Moradi G, Hassanzadeh J, Sayehmiri K. Inequality in Addiction and Mental Disorders in 6818 Suicide Attempts: Determine of Positive Contribution of Determinants by Decomposition Method. Iran J Public Health. 2017;46(6):796-803.
- Baker SP, Hu G, Wilcox HC, Baker TD. Increase in suicide by hanging/suffocation in the U.S., 2000-2010. Am J Prev Med. 2013;44(2):146-9.
- Nock MK, Borges G, Bromet EJ, Cha CB, Kessler RC, Lee S. Suicide and suicidal behavior. Epidemiologic reviews. 2008;30(1):133-54.
- Afghah S, Aghahasani M, Noori-Khajavi M, Tavakoli E. Survey of suicide attempts in Sari. Iranian journal of psychiatry. 2014;9(2):89.
- Amiri B, Pourreza A, Rahimi Foroushani A, Hosseini SM, Poorolajal J. Suicide and associated risk factors in Hamadan province, west of Iran, in 2008 and 2009. J Res Health Sci. 2012;12(2):88-92.
- Sadeghi S, Heydarheydari S, Darabi F, Golchinnia A. Suicide Attempts Among Patients Admited to Hospital of Kermanshah University of Medical Sciences. Int J High Risk Behav Addict. 2015;4(1):e23028.
- Behmanehsh Poor F, Tabatabaei SM, Bakhshani NM. Epidemiology of Suicide and its Associated Socio-demographic Factors in Patients Admitted to Emergency Department of Zahedan Khatam-Al-Anbia Hospital. Int J High Risk Behav Addict. 2014;3(4):e22637.
- Rabbani A, Mahmoudi-Gharaei J, Mohammadi MR, Motlagh ME, Mohammad K, Ardalan G, et al. Mental health problems of Iranian female adolescents and its association with pubertal development: a nationwide study. Acta Med Iran. 2012;50(3):169-76.
- Everett Jones S, Lollar DJ. Relationship between physical disabilities or long-term health problems and health risk behaviors or conditions among US high school students. J Sch Health. 2008;78(5):252-7; quiz 98-9.
- Sinyor M, Tse R, Pirkis J. Global trends in suicide epidemiology. Curr Opin Psychiatry. 2017;30(1):1-6.
- Veisani Y, Delpisheh A, Sayehmiri K, Moradi G, Hassanzadeh J. Decomposing Socioeconomic Inequality Determinants in Suicide Deaths in Iran: A Concentration Index Approach. Korean J Fam Med. 2017;38(3):135-40.
- Cash SJ, Bridge JA. Epidemiology of youth suicide and suicidal behavior. Curr Opin Pediatr. 2009;21(5):613-9.