Objective: To address the epidemiology of animal bites and associated factors with delay in post-exposure prophylaxis (PEP) in Nahvand district, western Iran.Methods: Data were obtained from Rabies Treatment Center (RTC) in Nahavan district from March 2015 to March 2017. All of referred cases to RTC include 1448 cases of animal bites using the census method were recruited. Epidemiological profile of participants was demonstrated using descriptive statistics and determinants of PEP was addressed by logistic regression model.Results: The majority of victims were males 1167(80.5%). superficial bites were more prevalent than deep status injuries (1145(79.0%) VS. 303(20.9%)). The biting rate differed according to season in the period of the study (p<0.001). Cases who experienced animal biting in the autumn was more likely to refer timely for PEP than cases in spring season (OR, 0.39; 95% CI: 0.26 - 0.59, p<0.001).Conclusion: Our findings addressed the pattern of potential delays in PEP including the role of season. Local authorities of Nahavand district should considered preventive activities and educational interventions to reduce animal biting and provide timely prophylaxis.
- Pessaux P, Tuech JJ, Derouet N, Du Plessis R, Ronceray J, Arnaud JP. Internal hernia: a rare cause of intestinal obstruction. Apropos of 14 cases. Ann Chir. 1999;53(9):870-3.
- In: World Health Organization. Rabies: key facts. Sep 2017 [Accessed: Feb 2018]. Available from: http://www.who.int/mediacentre/factsheets/fs099/en/ .
- Ghafouri M, Yaghubi M, Nasiri Zarin ghabaee D, Seyed Sharifi S. An Epidemiologic Study of Animal Bites in Bojnurd City 2005- 2011. J North Khorasan Univ Med Sci. 2015;7(1):123-31.
- Khazaei S, Rezaeian S, Soheylizad M, Gholamaliee B. Factors associated with delay in post-exposure prophylaxis in bitten people. Med J Islam Repub Iran. 2014;28:158.
- Khazaei S, Rezaeian S, Salehiniya H, Rezaei R, Sabzavari JTN, Soheilyzad M. Delay in Post-Exposure Prophylaxis and Associated Factors Among People Bitten by Animals in the Northeast of Iran, 2015. Archives of Clinical Infectious Diseases. 2016;11(2).
- Esmaeilzadeh F, Rajabi A, Vahedi S, Shamsadiny M, Ghelichi Ghojogh M, Hatam N. Epidemiology of Animal Bites and Factors Associated With Delays in Initiating Post-exposure Prophylaxis for Rabies Prevention Among Animal Bite Cases: A Population-based Study. J Prev Med Public Health. 2017;50(3):210-6.
- Sabouri Ghannad M, Roshanaei G, Rostampour F, Fallahi A. An epidemiologic study of animal bites in Ilam Province, Iran. Arch Iran Med. 2012;15(6):356-60.
- In: World Health Organization. Rabies: Guide for post-exposure prophylaxis. 2018 [Accessed: May 2018]. Available from: http://www.who.int/rabies/human/postexp/en/ .
- Khazaei S, Ayubi E, Nematollahi S, Mansori K, Ahmadi-Pishkuhi M, Mohammadian-Hafshejani A, et al. Pattern of pediatric animal bites and post exposure prophylaxis in Isfahan Province-Iran, 2015. International Journal of Pediatrics. 2016;4(6):1977-82.
- Dehghani R, Sharif A, Madani M, Kashani HH, Sharif MR. Factors Influencing Animal Bites in Iran: A Descriptive Study. Osong Public Health Res Perspect. 2016;7(4):273-7.
- Ghaffari-Fam S, Hosseini SR, Daemi A, Heydari H, Malekzade R, Ayubi E, et al. Epidemiological patterns of animal bites in the Babol County, North of Iran. Journal of Acute Disease. 2016;5(2):126-30.
- Hatami H, Esfahani HE, Kalantari B, Asgari A, Ezzati B, BagheriAmiri F. An epidemiologic survey of animal bites in Shemiranat, Tehran, 2009-2012. J Zoonotic Dis. 2017;2(1):19-29.
- Jain M, Prakash R, Garg K, Jain R, Choudhary M. Epidemiology of animal bite cases attending anti-rabies clinic of a Tertiary Care Centre in Southern Rajasthan. Journal of Research in Medical and Dental Science. 2017;3(1):79-82.
- Ramos JM, Melendez N, Reyes F, Gudiso G, Biru D, Fano G, et al. Epidemiology of animal bites and other potential rabies exposures and anti-rabies vaccine utilization in a rural area in Southern Ethiopia. Ann Agric Environ Med. 2015;22(1):76-9.
- Babaeeian-moghaddam M, Hashemi-nazari SS, Khodakarim S. Epidemiological study on animal bite cases and its related injury in Quchan district in2013. Safety Promotion and Injury Prevention. 2015;3(1):9-14.