Objective: To investigate the epidemiological aspects of all-cause injuries in Hamadan province during a 6-year period.Methods: We conducted a cross-sectional study on injured subjects admitted to private or governmental hospitals in Hamadan province during March 2009 to March 2015. The epidemiological characteristics were retrieved from a registry-based system including gender, residency, injury mechanism and date of injury occurrence, outcome of hospitalization (full recovery/disability/death).Results: Totally, 135,925 hospitalized injured cases were recorded. The majority of cases were male (72.6%) and were occurred in urban areas (60%), about 40% of patients were in 20-34 years’ age group, and the highest proportion (30.13%) of injuries occurred in summer. Logistic regression showed that the odds of disability vs. recovery was significantly higher in rural areas [Adjusted odds ratio (AOR) =3.42] and the odds of death vs. recovery was higher among male gender (AOR=1.46). In addition, comparing to the 0-4-year age-group, odds of death were significantly higher in middle aged and elderly victims. Conclusion: Our findings showed that middle age groups, male gender and urban area increase the odds of death. Injured males and old age subjects had the highest odds of death and out of residential area injuries were common cause of leading death injuries.
- Peden M, Scurfield R, Sleet D, Mohan D, Hyder AA, Jarawan E, et al. World report on road traffic injury prevention. World Health Organization: Geneva; 2004. p. 1-22.
- Montazeri A. Road-traffic-related mortality in Iran: a descriptive study. Public Health. 2004;118(2):110-3.
- Akbari ME, Naghavi M, Soori H. Epidemiology of deaths from injuries in the Islamic Republic of Iran. East Mediterr Health J. 2006;12(3-4):382-90.
- Saadat S, Yousefifard M, Asady H, Moghadas Jafari A, Fayaz M, Hosseini M. The Most Important Causes of Death in Iranian Population; a Retrospective Cohort Study. Emerg (Tehran). 2015;3(1):16-21.
- Rad M, Martiniuk AL, Ansari-Moghaddam A, Mohammadi M, Rashedi F, Ghasemi A. The Pattern of Road Traffic Crashes in South East Iran. Glob J Health Sci. 2016;8(9):51677.
- Goniewicz M, Nogalski A, Khayesi M, Lubek T, Zuchora B, Goniewicz K, et al. Pattern of road traffic injuries in Lublin County, Poland. Cent Eur J Public Health. 2012;20(2):116-20.
- Wangdi C, Gurung MS. Burden, pattern and causes of road traffic accidents in Bhutan, 2013-2014: a police record review. Int J Inj Contr Saf Promot. 2018;25(1):65-9.
- Bahadorimonfared A, Soori H, Mehrabi Y, Delpisheh A, Esmaili A, Salehi M, et al. Trends of fatal road traffic injuries in Iran (2004-2011). PLoS One. 2013;8(5):e65198.
- Mehmandar M, Soori H, Mehrabi Y. Predicting and analyzing the trend of traffic accidents deaths in Iran in 2014 and 2015. Int J Crit Illn Inj Sci. 2016;6(2):74-8.
- Hosseinpour M, Mohammadian-Hafshejani A, Esmaeilpour Aghdam M, Mohammadian M, Maleki F. Trend and Seasonal Patterns of Injuries and Mortality Due to Motorcyclists Traffic Accidents; A Hospital-Based Study. Bull Emerg Trauma. 2017;5(1):47-52.
- Fazel MR, Fakharian E, Mahdian M, Mohammadzadeh M, Salehfard L, Ramezani M. Demographic Profiles of Adult Trauma During a 5 Year Period (2007-2011) in Kashan, IR Iran. Arch Trauma Res. 2012;1(2):63-6.
- Zafarghandi MR, Modaghegh MH, Roudsari BS. Preventable trauma death in Tehran: an estimate of trauma care quality in teaching hospitals. J Trauma. 2003;55(3):459-65.
- Ebadi Fardazar F, Mansori K, Solhi M, Hashemi SS, Ayubi E, Khosravi Shadmani F, et al. A Cross-sectional Study for Determinations of Prevention Behaviors of Domestic Accidents in Mothers with Children Less than 5-year. International Journal of Pediatrics. 2016;4(5):1679-85.
- Ayubi E, Mansori K, Soori H, Khazaei S, Gholami A, Rajabi A, et al. Population Attributable Risk of Unintentional Poisoning in Iranian Children. International Journal of Pediatrics. 2016;4(4):1655-62.
- Mohammadzadeh M, Paravar M, Mirzadeh AS, Mohammadzadeh J, Mahdian S. Seat Belt Usage in Injured Car Occupants: Injury Patterns, Severity and Outcome After Two Main Car Accident Mechanisms in Kashan, Iran, 2012. Arch Trauma Res. 2015;4(1):e22203.
- Etehad H, Yousefzadeh-Chabok S, Davoudi-Kiakalaye A, Moghadam Dehnadi A, Hemati H, Mohtasham-Amiri Z. Impact of road traffic accidents on the elderly. Arch Gerontol Geriatr. 2015;61(3):489-93.
- Bakhshi H, Assadpour M, Kazemi M. The accident referrals to an emergency department in Ali-Ebn-e Abitaleb hospital, Rafsanjan: a descriptive study. 2006.
- Mahdian M, Fazel MR, Sehat M, Khosravi G, Mohammadzadeh M. Epidemiological Profile of Extremity Fractures and Dislocations in Road Traffic Accidents in Kashan, Iran: a Glance at the Related Disabilities. Arch Bone Jt Surg. 2017;5(3):186-92.
- Mahdian M, Sehat M, Fazel MR, Moraveji A, Mohammadzadeh M. Epidemiology of Urban Traffic Accident Victims Hospitalized More Than 24 Hours in a Level III Trauma Center, Kashan County, Iran, During 2012-2013. Arch Trauma Res. 2015;4(2):e28465.
- Modarres SR, Shokrollahi MH, Yaserian M, Rahimi M, Amani N, Manouchehri A. Epidemiological Characteristics of Fatal Traumatic Accidents in Babol, Iran: A Hospital-Based Survey. Bull Emerg Trauma. 2014;2(4):146-50.
- Khosravi Shadmani F, Soori H, Karmi M, Zayeri F, Mehmandar M. Estimating of population attributable fraction of unauthorized speeding and overtaking on rural roads of Iran. Iranian Journal of Epidemiology. 2013;8(4):9-14.
- Ghafari M. Epidemiological study of domestic accidents in urban and rural area of Shahrekord in 1999. Journal of Shahrekord Uuniversity of Medical Sciences. 2003;5.
- Mohammadi R, Ekman R, Svanstrom L, Gooya MM. Unintentional home-related injuries in the Islamic Republic of Iran: findings from the first year of a national programme. Public Health. 2005;119(10):919-24.
- Mohtasham-Amiri Z, Dastgiri S, Davoudi-Kiakalyeh A, Imani A, Mollarahimi K. An Epidemiological Study of Road Traffic Accidents in Guilan Province, Northern Iran in 2012. Bull Emerg Trauma. 2016;4(4):230-5.
- Paravar M, Hosseinpour M, Salehi S, Mohammadzadeh M, Shojaee A, Akbari H, et al. Pre-hospital trauma care in road traffic accidents in kashan, iran. Arch Trauma Res. 2013;1(4):166-71.
- Yu IT, Tse SL. Workshop 6--sources of bias in cross-sectional studies; summary on sources of bias for different study designs. Hong Kong Med J. 2012;18(3):226-7.