Biology Department, Payame Noor University of Tehran Shargh, Tehran, Iran
Neurophysiology Research center, Department of Anatomy, Urmia University of Medical Sciences, Urmia, Iran
Objective: To determine the effects of chicken embryo brain extract (BE) on transects sciatic nerve in male rats.Methods: Thirty adult male Sprague-Dawley rats weighing 200 to 250 g, were randomized into three groups treated with (1) sham surgery, (2) normal saline (NS), and (3) brain extract (BE). The BE was taken from incubating chick embryos at day 8. The sciatic nerve was exposed and sharply transected at the mid thigh level. Immediate epineurial repair was then performed. The BE treated animals were given 400 µl/kg of the chick embryo BE intraperitoneal, once daily, for 2 weeks. All animals were evaluated by sciatic functional index (SFI), electrophysiology, histology, and immunohistochemistry at days 28, 90 after surgery.Results: The mean SFI difference between BE and NS groups at days 28, 60 and 90 after surgery was statistically significant (p=0.086). The mean number of myelinated fibers in the BE group was significantly greater than that of the NS group on days 28 and 90 after surgery (p=0.034). At days 28 and 90 after surgery, the mean nerve conduction velocity (NCV) in the BE group was significantly faster than that of the NS group (p=0.041).Conclusion: These results indicate for the first time that chick embryo brain extract can enhance peripheral nerve regeneration in rat.
- Korompilias AV, Payatakes AH, Beris AE, Vekris MD, Afendras GD, Soucacos PN. Sciatic and peroneal nerve injuries. Microsurgery. 2006;26(4):288-94.
- Navarro X, Vivo M, Valero-Cabre A. Neural plasticity after peripheral nerve injury and regeneration. Prog Neurobiol. 2007;82(4):163-201.
- Rosberg HE, Carlsson KS, Dahlin LB. Prospective study of patients with injuries to the hand and forearm: costs, function, and general health. Scand J Plast Reconstr Surg Hand Surg. 2005;39(6):360-9.
- Abbasipour-Dalivand S, Mohammadi R, Mohammadi V. Effects of Local Administration of Platelet Rich Plasma on Functional Recovery after Bridging Sciatic Nerve Defect Using Silicone Rubber Chamber; An Experimental Study. Bull Emerg Trauma. 2015;3(1):1-7.
- Mehrshad A, Seddighnia A, Shadabi M, Najafpour A, Mohammadi R. Local Effect of Heparin Binding Neurotrophic Factor Combined With Chitosan Entubulization on Sciatic Nerve Repair in Rats. Bull Emerg Trauma. 2016;4(2):80-7..
- Nobakhti-Afshar A, Najafpour A, Mohammadi R, Zarei L. Assessment of Neuroprotective Effects of Local Administration of 17- Beta- Estradiol on Peripheral Nerve Regeneration in Ovariectomized Female Rats. Bull Emerg Trauma. 2016;4(3):141-9.
- Mehrshad A, Shahraki M, Ehteshamfar S. Local Administration of Methylprednisolone Laden Hydrogel Enhances Functional Recovery of Transected Sciatic Nerve in Rat. Bull Emerg Trauma. 2017;5(4):231-9.
- Hakelien AM, Landsverk HB, Robl JM, Skalhegg BS, Collas P. Reprogramming fibroblasts to express T-cell functions using cell extracts. Nat Biotechnol. 2002;20(5):460-6.
- Labovsky V, Hofer EL, Feldman L, Fernandez Vallone V, Garcia Rivello H, Bayes-Genis A, et al. Cardiomyogenic differentiation of human bone marrow mesenchymal cells: Role of cardiac extract from neonatal rat cardiomyocytes. Differentiation. 2010;79(2):93-101.
- Vojdani Z, Tavakolinejad S, Talaei-Khozani T, Esmaeilpour T, Rasooli M. Cardiomyocyte marker expression in a human lymphocyte cell line using mouse cardiomyocyte extract. Hum Cell. 2011;24(1):35-42.
- Talaei-Khozani T, Kharazinejad E, Rohani L, Vojdani Z, Mostafavi Pour Z, Tabei SZ. Expression of pluripotency markers in human granulosa cells after embryonic stem cell extract exposure and epigenetic modification. Iran J Reprod Med. 2012;10(3):193-200.
- Talaei-Khozani T, Heidari F, Esmaeilpour T, Vojdani Z, Mostafavi-Pour Z, Rohani L. Cardiomyocyte marker expression in mouse embryonic fibroblasts by cell-free cardiomyocyte extract and epigenetic manipulation. Iran J Med Sci. 2014;39(2 Suppl):203-12.
- Zhou QZ, Zhang G, Long HB, Lei F, Ye F, Jia XF, et al. Effect of spinal cord extracts after spinal cord injury on proliferation of rat embryonic neural stem cells and Notch signal pathway in vitro. Asian Pac J Trop Med. 2014;7(7):562-7.
- Mashayekhi F, Salehi Z. Infusion of anti-nerve growth factor into the cisternum magnum of chick embryo leads to decrease cell production in the cerebral cortical germinal epithelium. Eur J Neurol. 2007;14(2):181-6.
- Yang ZF, Ho DW, Lau CK, Tam KH, Lam CT, Yu WC, et al. Significance of the serum brain-derived neurotrophic factor and platelets in hepatocellular carcinoma. Oncol Rep. 2006;16(6):1237-43.
- Pogorelaya M. The influence of extract from embryonic chicken tissue on the dynamic changes of mice blood serum c-reactive protein and cytokines after Î³-irradiation. Fiziolohichnyi zhurnal (Kiev, Ukraine: 1994). 2015;61(2):87-93.
- Mu X, Sultankulov B, Agarwal R, Mahjoub A, Schott T, Greco N, et al. Chick embryo extract demethylates tumor suppressor genes in osteosarcoma cells. Clinical Orthopaedics and Related ResearchÂ®. 2014;472(3):865-73.
- Ghavami S, Dolatkhah M, Farjah G. The Effect of Chick Embryo Cerebro-Spinal Fluid in Microwave Irradiated Collagen Guide Channel on Sciatic Nerve Regeneration in Rat. MOJ Anat & Physiol. 2016;2(3):00047.
- Farjah GH, Fazli F. The effect of chick embryo amniotic fluid on sciatic nerve regeneration of rats. Iran J Vet Res. 2015;16(2):167-71.
- Bain JR, Mackinnon SE, Hunter DA. Functional evaluation of complete sciatic, peroneal, and posterior tibial nerve lesions in the rat. Plast Reconstr Surg. 1989;83(1):129-38.
- Farjah GH, Peirouvi T, Heshmatian B, Yasami M, Dolatkhah M. The effect of short-term treatments of a gonadotropinreleasing hormone analog (buserelin) on sciatic nerve regeneration. Iranian Journal of Veterinary Research. 2014;15(2):104-9.
- Behnam-Rasouli M, Nikravesh M, Mahdavi-Shahri N, Fazel A. The effects of local fetal brain extract administration on the electromyogram of crushed sciatic nerve in rat. Iranian Biomedical Journal. 2001;5(2):73-7.
- Castaneda F, Kinne RK. Omental graft improves functional recovery of transected peripheral nerve. Muscle Nerve. 2002;26(4):527-32.
- Nicolas-Bolnet C, Dieterlen-Lievre F. In vitro survival and multiplication of chicken myeloblasts promoted for several weeks by chick embryo extract. Poult Sci. 1995;74(6):942-50.
- Pajtler K, Bohrer A, Maurer J, Schorle H, Schramm A, Eggert A, et al. Production of chick embryo extract for the cultivation of murine neural crest stem cells. J Vis Exp. 2010;(45). pii: 2380.
- Boyd JG, Gordon T. Neurotrophic factors and their receptors in axonal regeneration and functional recovery after peripheral nerve injury. Mol Neurobiol. 2003;27(3):277-324.
- Ibanez CF, Hallbook F, Soderstrom S, Ebendal T, Persson H. Biological and immunological properties of recombinant human, rat, and chicken nerve growth factors: a comparative study. J Neurochem. 1991;57(3):1033-41.
- Holzenberger M, Lapointe F, Leibovici M, Lievre CA. The avian IGF type 1 receptor: cDNA analysis and in situ hybridization reveal conserved sequence elements and expression patterns relevant for the development of the nervous system. Brain Res Dev Brain Res. 1996;97(1):76-87.
- Zhou M, Ma Z, Sly WS. Cloning and expression of the cDNA of chicken cation-independent mannose-6-phosphate receptor. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 1995;92(21):9762-6.
- Li R, Wu Y, Zou S, Wang X, Li Y, Xu K, et al. NGF Attenuates High Glucose-Induced ER Stress, Preventing Schwann Cell Apoptosis by Activating the PI3K/Akt/GSK3Î² and ERK1/2 Pathways. Neurochemical research. 2017;42(11):3005-18.
- Chamberlain L, Yannas I, Arrizabalaga A, Hsu H-P, Norregaard T, Spector M. Early peripheral nerve healing in collagen and silicone tube implants: myofibroblasts and the cellular response. Biomaterials. 1998;19(15):1393-403.
- Mirkeshavarz M, Ganjibakhsh M, Aminishakib P, Farzaneh P, Mahdavi N, Vakhshiteh F, et al. Interleukin-6 secreted by oral cancer-associated fibroblast accelerated VEGF expression in tumor and stroma cells. Cell Mol Biol (Noisy le Grand). 2017;63(10).
- Wang H, Zhu H, Guo Q, Qian T, Zhang P, Li S, et al. Overlapping Mechanisms of Peripheral Nerve Regeneration and Angiogenesis Following Sciatic Nerve Transection. Front Cell Neurosci. 2017;11:323.