Document Type : Review Article
Objective: To estimate the summation of mortality rate and the contributing factors in patients with traumatic thoracolumbar spinal cord injuries (TLSCI).Methods: A systematic search of observational studies that evaluated the mortality associated with TLSCI in MEDLINE and EMBASE was conducted. The study quality was evaluated using a modified quality assessment tool previously designed for observational studies.Results: Twenty-four observational studies involving 11,205 patients were included, published between January 1, 1997, and February 6, 2016. Ten studies were of high quality, thirteen were of moderate quality, and one study was of low quality. Seventeen reports described risk factors for mortality and eleven of these studies used a multiple regression models to adjust for confounders.The reported mortality rate ranged from 0 to 37.7% overall and between 0 and 10.4% in-hospital. The sum of mortality for in-hospital, 6-month, and 12-month were 5.2%, 26.12%, 4.3%, respectively. The mortality at 7.7 years follow-up was 10.07% and for 14 years follow-up reports ranged from 13.47% to 21.46%. Associated data such as age at injury, male to female ratio, pre-existing comorbidities, concomitant injuries, duration of follow-up, and cause of death have been underreported in studies investigating the mortality rate after TLSCI.Conclusion: Currently no study has accurately assessed mortality in the thoracolumbar spine, while there is general agreement that traumatic thoracolumbar spinal cord injuries are important.
- Ahoniemi E, Pohjolainen T, Kautiainen H. Survival after spinal cord injury in Finland. J Rehabil Med. 2011;43(6):481-5.
- DeVivo MJ, Stover SL, Black KJ. Prognostic factors for 12-year survival after spinal cord injury. Arch Phys Med Rehabil. 1992;73(2):156-62.
- Frankel HL, Coll JR, Charlifue SW, Whiteneck GG, Gardner BP, Jamous MA, et al. Long-term survival in spinal cord injury: a fifty year investigation. Spinal Cord. 1998;36(4):266-74.
- Myllynen P, Kivioja A, Rokkanen P, Wilppula E. Cervical spinal cord injury: the correlations of initial clinical features and blood gas analyses with early prognosis. Paraplegia. 1989;27(1):19-26.
- O'Connor PJ. Survival after spinal cord injury in Australia. Arch Phys Med Rehabil. 2005;86(1):37-47.
- Yeo JD, Walsh J, Rutkowski S, Soden R, Craven M, Middleton J. Mortality following spinal cord injury. Spinal Cord. 1998;36(5):329-36.
- Alexandru D, So W. Evaluation and management of vertebral compression fractures. Perm J. 2012;16(4):46-51.
- Heinzelmann M, Wanner GA. Thoracolumbar spinal injuries. Spinal Disorders: Springer; 2008. p. 883-924.
- Lidal IB, Snekkevik H, Aamodt G, Hjeltnes N, Biering-Sorensen F, Stanghelle JK. Mortality after spinal cord injury in Norway. J Rehabil Med. 2007;39(2):145-51.
- Varma A, Hill EG, Nicholas J, Selassie A. Predictors of early mortality after traumatic spinal cord injury: a population-based study. Spine (Phila Pa 1976). 2010;35(7):778-83.
- Moher D, Liberati A, Tetzlaff J, Altman DG. Preferred reporting items for systematic reviews and meta-analyses: the PRISMA statement. J Clin Epidemiol. 2009;62(10):1006-12.
- Stroup DF, Berlin JA, Morton SC, Olkin I, Williamson GD, Rennie D, et al. Meta-analysis of observational studies in epidemiology: a proposal for reporting. Meta-analysis Of Observational Studies in Epidemiology (MOOSE) group. Jama. 2000;283(15):2008-12.
- Kortbeek JB, Al Turki SA, Ali J, Antoine JA, Bouillon B, Brasel K, et al. Advanced trauma life support, 8th edition, the evidence for change. J Trauma. 2008;64(6):1638-50.
- Gomes B, Higginson IJ. Factors influencing death at home in terminally ill patients with cancer: systematic review. Bmj. 2006;332(7540):515-21.
- Battle CE, Hutchings H, Evans PA. Risk factors that predict mortality in patients with blunt chest wall trauma: a systematic review and meta-analysis. Injury. 2012;43(1):8-17.
- Urquhart DM, Hanna FS, Brennan SL, Wluka AE, Leder K, Cameron PA, et al. Incidence and risk factors for deep surgical site infection after primary total hip arthroplasty: a systematic review. J Arthroplasty. 2010;25(8):1216-22.e1-3.
- Xing D, Wang J, Song D, Xu W, Chen Y, Yang Y, et al. Predictors for mortality in elderly patients with cervical spine injury: a systematic methodological review. Spine (Phila Pa 1976). 2013;38(9):770-7.
- van Middendorp JJ, Albert TJ, Veth RP, Hosman AJ. Methodological systematic review: mortality in elderly patients with cervical spine injury: a critical appraisal of the reporting of baseline characteristics, follow-up, cause of death, and analysis of risk factors. Spine (Phila Pa 1976). 2010;35(10):1079-87.
- Levy LF, Makarawo S, Madzivire D, Bhebhe E, Verbeek N, Parry O. Problems, struggles and some success with spinal cord injury in Zimbabwe. Spinal Cord. 1998;36(3):213-8.
- Hagen EM, Lie SA, Rekand T, Gilhus NE, Gronning M. Mortality after traumatic spinal cord injury: 50 years of follow-up. J Neurol Neurosurg Psychiatry. 2010;81(4):368-73.
- Rabadi MH, Mayanna SK, Vincent AS. Predictors of mortality in veterans with traumatic spinal cord injury. Spinal Cord. 2013;51(10):784-8.
- Augutis M, Levi R. Pediatric spinal cord injury in Sweden: incidence, etiology and outcome. Spinal Cord. 2003;41(6):328-36.
- Furlan JC, Kattail D, Fehlings MG. The impact of co-morbidities on age-related differences in mortality after acute traumatic spinal cord injury. J Neurotrauma. 2009;26(8):1361-7.
- Sabre L, Rekand T, Asser T, Korv J. Mortality and causes of death after traumatic spinal cord injury in Estonia. J Spinal Cord Med. 2013;36(6):687-94.
- Furlan JC, Bracken MB, Fehlings MG. Is age a key determinant of mortality and neurological outcome after acute traumatic spinal cord injury? Neurobiol Aging. 2010;31(3):434-46.
- Nwankwo OE, Uche EO. Epidemiological and treatment profiles of spinal cord injury in southeast Nigeria. Spinal Cord. 2013;51(6):448-52.
- Krause JS, Saunders LL. Health, secondary conditions, and life expectancy after spinal cord injury. Arch Phys Med Rehabil. 2011;92(11):1770-5.
- Krause JS, Saunders LL, DeVivo MJ. Income and risk of mortality after spinal cord injury. Arch Phys Med Rehabil. 2011;92(3):339-45.
- Barman A, Shanmugasundaram D, Bhide R, Viswanathan A, Magimairaj HP, Nagarajan G, et al. Survival in persons with traumatic spinal cord injury receiving structured follow-up in South India. Arch Phys Med Rehabil. 2014;95(4):642-8.
- Divanoglou A, Westgren N, Seiger A, Hulting C, Levi R. Late mortality during the first year after acute traumatic spinal cord injury: a prospective, population-based study. J Spinal Cord Med. 2010;33(2):117-27.
- Chamberlain JD, Meier S, Mader L, von Groote PM, Brinkhof MW. Mortality and longevity after a spinal cord injury: systematic review and meta-analysis. Neuroepidemiology. 2015;44(3):182-98.
- Kawu AA, Alimi FM, Gbadegesin AA, Salami AO, Olawepo A, Adebule TG, et al. Complications and causes of death in spinal cord injury patients in Nigeria. West Afr J Med. 2011;30(4):301-4.
- Cotton BA, Pryor JP, Chinwalla I, Wiebe DJ, Reilly PM, Schwab CW. Respiratory complications and mortality risk associated with thoracic spine injury. J Trauma. 2005;59(6):1400-7; discussion 7-9.
- van den Berg ME, Castellote JM, Mahillo-Fernandez I, de Pedro-Cuesta J. Incidence of spinal cord injury worldwide: a systematic review. Neuroepidemiology. 2010;34(3):184-92; discussion 92.
- Wilson JR, Cadotte DW, Fehlings MG. Clinical predictors of neurological outcome, functional status, and survival after traumatic spinal cord injury: a systematic review. J Neurosurg Spine. 2012;17(1 Suppl):11-26.
- Hu F, Jiang C, Shen J, Tang P, Wang Y. Preoperative predictors for mortality following hip fracture surgery: a systematic review and meta-analysis. Injury. 2012;43(6):676-85.
- Krause JS, Sternberg M, Lottes S, Maides J. Mortality after spinal cord injury: an 11-year prospective study. Arch Phys Med Rehabil. 1997;78(8):815-21.
- Leal-Filho MB, Borges G, Almeida BR, Aguiar Ade A, Vieira MA, Dantas Kda S, et al. Spinal cord injury: epidemiological study of 386 cases with emphasis on those patients admitted more than four hours after the trauma. Arq Neuropsiquiatr. 2008;66(2b):365-8.
- Ning GZ, Yu TQ, Feng SQ, Zhou XH, Ban DX, Liu Y, et al. Epidemiology of traumatic spinal cord injury in Tianjin, China. Spinal Cord. 2011;49(3):386-90.
- Grossman RG, Frankowski RF, Burau KD, Toups EG, Crommett JW, Johnson MM, et al. Incidence and severity of acute complications after spinal cord injury. J Neurosurg Spine. 2012;17(1 Suppl):119-28.
- Middleton JW, Dayton A, Walsh J, Rutkowski SB, Leong G, Duong S. Life expectancy after spinal cord injury: a 50-year study. Spinal Cord. 2012;50(11):803-11.
- Cao HQ, Dong ED. An update on spinal cord injury research. Neurosci Bull. 2013;29(1):94-102.
- Lofvenmark I, Norrbrink C, Nilsson-Wikmar L, Hultling C, Chakandinakira S, Hasselberg M. Traumatic spinal cord injury in Botswana: characteristics, aetiology and mortality. Spinal Cord. 2015;53(2):150-4.
- Hossain MS, Shofiqul Islam M, Glinsky JV, Lowe R, Lowe T, Harvey LA. A massive open online course (MOOC) can be used to teach physiotherapy students about spinal cord injuries: a randomised trial. J Physiother. 2015;61(1):21-7.