Document Type: Case Report
General Surgery Department, Shiraz University of Medical Sciences, Shiraz, Iran.
Department of Internal Medicine, Nemazee Teaching Hospital, Shiraz University of Medical Sciences, Shiraz, Iran.
Colorectal Research Center, Shiraz University of Medical Sciences, Shiraz, Iran.
Psoas abscesses could originate from an adjacent source of infection in the abdominopelvic cavity known as a secondary complication of acute appendicitis. However, it is considered as a very rare event when occurring late after the presentation of appendicitis. Whether it is the source or complication of acute appendicitis following appendectomy remains unclear. A 25-year-old man was admitted to our center with fever and abdominal pain. His past medical history was unremarkable except for having an acute appendicitis and complicated appendectomy 4 years before presenting illness. On admission, the patient was febrile with right lower quadrant abdominal tenderness and moderate leukocytosis. The Abdominopelvic CT- scan revealed a large right psoas muscle than the opposite site, that contained a hypodense mass measuring 6 cm in diameter with extension into right iliacus and internal oblique muscles..The patient underwent subsequent percutaneous abscess drainage under image guide and concurrent broad-spectrum antibiotic therapy.
- TurunÃ§ T, TurunÃ§ T, DemiroÄlu YZ, ColakoÄlu S. Retrospective evaluation of 15 cases with psoas abscesses. Mikrobiyol Bul 2009;43(1):121-5.
- Garner JP, Meiring PD, Ravi K, Gupta R. Psoas abscess - not as rare as we think? Colorectal Dis 2007;9(3):269-74.
- Navarro V, Meseguer V, Fernandez A, Medrano F, Saez JA, Puras A. Psoas muscle abscess.Description of a series of 19 cases. Enferm Infecc Microbiol Clin 1998;16(3):118-22.
- Ricci MA, Rose FB, Meyer KK. Pyogenic psoas abscess: worldwide variations in aetiology. World J Surg 1986;10(5):834-43.
- Huang JJ, Ruaan MK, Lan RR, Wang MC. Acute pyogenic iliopsoas abscess in Taiwan: clinical features, diagnosis, treatments and outcome. J Infect 2000;40(3):248-55.
- Di Marco L, Sciascia V, Salmi R, Manfredini A, Cocuzza C, Berghenti M. Psoas abscess ten years after ipsilateral nephrectomy for pyonephrosis. G Chir 2007;28(4):139-41.
- Hsieh CH, Wang YC, Yang HR, Chung PK, Jeng LB, Chen RJ. Retroperitoneal abscess resulting from perforated acute appendicitis: analysis of its management and outcome. Surg Today 2007;37(9):762-7.
- Moosmayer S. Abdominal actinomycosis.Actinomycotic abscess 10 years after appendectomy. Tidsskr Nor Laegeforen 1992;112(22):2857-8.
- Korenkov M, YÃ¼cel N, Schierholz JM, Goh P, Troidl H. Psoas abscesses. Genesis, diagnosis, and therapy. Chirurg 2003;74(7):677-82.
- Dahami Z, Sarf I, Dakir M, Aboutaieb R, Bennani S, Elmrini M, et al. Treatment of primary pyogenic abscess of the psoas: retrospective study of 18 cases. Ann Urol (Paris) 2001;35(6):329-34.
- el Hassani S, Echarrab el-M, Bensabbah R, Attaibi A, Kabiri H, Bourki K, et al. Primary psoas abscess. A review of 16 cases. Rev Rhum Engl Ed 1998;65(10):555-9.
- Penado S, Espina B, Francisco Campo J. Abscess of the psoas muscle. Description of a series of 23 cases. Enferm Infecc Microbiol Clin 2001;19(6):257-60.
- Lin MF, Lau YJ, Hu BS, Shi ZY, Lin YH. Pyogenic psoas abscess: analysis of 27 cases. J Microbiol Immunol Infect 1999;32(4):261-8.
- Olivares D, Navarro-Lopez V, Serrano R, Lopez-Garcia F. Brucellosis complicated by a psoas muscle abscess. Enferm Infecc Microbiol Clin 2004;22(3):200.
- Kaya S, Sayil O. Psoas abscess due to brucellosis. Trop Doct 2009;39(2):124-7.
- Rabii R, el Moussaoui A, Rais H, Debbagh A, el Mrini M, Benjelloun S. Primary pyogenic abscess of the psoas muscle.Apropos of 5 cases. Ann Urol (Paris) 1997;31(6-7):361-5.
- Perez-Fernandez S, de la Fuente-Aguado J, Fernandez-Fernandez FJ, Rubianes-Gonzalez M, SopeÃ±a Perez-ArgÃ¼elles B, Martinez-Vazquez C. Psoas abscesses. An up-dated perspective. Enferm Infecc Microbiol Clin 2006;24(5):313-8.
- MacGillivray DC, Valentine RJ, Johnson JA 3rd. Strategies in the management of pyogenic psoas abscesses. Am Surg 1991;57(11):701-5.
- Jeffrey RB, Callen PW, Federle MP. Computed tomography of psoas abscesses. J Comput Assist Tomogr 1980;4(5):639-41.
- Chen YC, Chen ST, Chen YS. Psoas abscess: report of a case. Taiwan Yi Xue Hui Za Zhi 1989;88(7):752-4.
- Lapus RM, Baker MD. An uncommon late complication of appendicitis. Pediatr Emerg Care 2010;26(10):757-8.